BronzeLens Film Festival will be celebrating its 9th annual festival August 22-26, 2018. BLFF was created to promote Georgia as the new film mecca for people of color. Georgia now ranks third nationally when it comes to film and television production generating over $6 billion dollars to the state’s economy on an annual basis. There is a vibrant production community here, from studio films to indies.
BronzeLens seeks to showcase films by seasoned as well as the “next generation” of filmmakers that are by, for and/or depicting people of color, particularly of the African Diaspora. The Festival features outstanding films and workshops, Master Classes and Conversations about the art and business of filmmaking. Previous partners have included BET, HBO, OWN, Turner and many others.
BronzeLens Film Festival has been approved as an Academy Awards® qualifying festival for the Short Film Awards.
Recipients of BronzeLens Film Festival qualifying awards will be eligible for consideration in the Short Film category of the Academy Awards® without the standard theatrical run, provided the film otherwise complies with Academy rules.
According to FilmFreeway BronzeLens ranks “in the top 2.5% of among more than 4,000 film festivals and creative contests around the world.”
Recent reviews from attending filmmakers have said:
“Incredible seminars, several amazing filmmaker luncheons, and an “Oscar Like” award ceremony made this festival quite a magnificent affair.”
“Seriously, BronzeLens was an incredible festival with an outstanding awards show, fantastic films, and great panels with people to actually learn from.”
“BronzeLens took care of the pros and the newbies. There was a special liaison just for screening filmmakers and this made introductions and networking easier….”
BLFF has grown from a four-day festival to year-round programming. Since our first year we were invited by Ava DuVernay to be a charter member of AFFRM, now ARRAY. In that capacity we are a member of a collective of leading African American film festivals that comprise a unique distribution model. In addition, we’ve programmed for the Atlanta Jazz Festival, The Neighborhood Awards Expo, partnered for an on-going bi-annual Family Film series, produced a South Asian Film series, conducted career workshops and provided promotional support for many of our “alums” who have gone on to have theatrical and digital releases.
We award excellence in the following Award categories:
- Best Feature
- Best Short: BronzeLens Film Festival has been approved as an Academy Awards® qualifying festival for the Short Film Awards.
- Best International
- Best Webisode
- Best Documentary
- Best Short Documentary
- Best Student Film
- Best Music Video
- Best Actor in a Feature
- Best Actress in a Feature
- Audience Award determined by cell phone voting
- Best of Festival
Cash Prizes to be Announced
- final cuts only- not works in progress.
BronzeLens Film Entry Submission Guidelines
BronzeLens Film Festival (BLFF) is now accepting film entries for our 2018 Festival. We are seeking films by or about people of color that explore the trials and triumphs of life through the use of the moving image.
Please read the following information fully and complete the on-line submission form. Note: if your film was shot in Georgia or there are any Georgia ties of your principals (Georgia residence) there is a $10 entry fee reduction (Early Bird, Regular or Late deadlines applies). You are encouraged to submit prior to the deadline for a reduced fee. Please state why your film is eligible in this category.
• Entries must be written, directed, produced and/or principally acted by a person of color.
• More than one entry can be submitted; however each entry must be accompanied by a separate on-line submission form, entry fee, color JPEG publicity photo, one - two sentence synopsis and URL link and password.
• Year of completion must be 2017 or later.
• Foreign language films must have English subtitles.
• On-line submissions must include the fully completed submission form, entry fee, JPEG publicity photo(s), downloadable trailer link, two sentence synopsis and URL link (Vimeo preferred). The URL link and password for selected films must be available until August 26, 2018.
• Completion of the entry form certifies that you are the rightful owner of the submitted work and own all rights and releases necessary for public screening. All legal clearances and releases including, but not limited to talent, intellectual property, music or stock footage are the responsibility of the filmmaker. The submitted film is not subject to litigation and is not threatened by litigation. If selected, you agree to provide a final exhibition downloadable link and password no later than Monday, July 16, 2018. You give permission for BLFF to utilize clips or stills of your entry for festival promotional purposes (including but not limited to television, web, and presentations).
• BLFF encourages at least an Atlanta premiere for the selected films and shorts. Projects may have distribution but not yet had a theatrical release, airplay on television, or broadcast on the Internet (excluding webisodes series).
• BLFF is not responsible for damage to or loss of any submitted materials in route to the Festival. The sender is responsible for all shipping costs (including customs and delivery fees).
Official Selection Notices will be sent via e-mail and announced on Facebook Live by July 12, 2018
Submission and Judging Categories include:
• Feature Film (narrative fiction): (40 minutes +)
• Short Film (up to 39 minutes)
• Documentary: (30 minutes +)
• Short Documentary: (up to 29 minutes)
• Webisode (two in a series; each not to exceed 15:00)
• Music Video (has to be an original song, not a cover and not to exceed 06:30)
• International (includes features, shorts and documentaries)
• Student Shorts (up to 39 minutes); must be written, shot, directed and produced by students who were in college during the time of its production.
• Best Actress in a Feature or Short **
• Best Actor in a Feature or Short **
Please Note: final cuts only- not works in progress!
**If you are submitting an actor/actress for nomination (feature film and shorts only) please make sure to list both their name and their character name.