BIFF is returning this October for 11 days of unforgettable films, events and industry days held across our beautiful city.
The 28th Brisbane International Film Festival will once again celebrate this amazing city and the community that supports it. We invite one and all to join us as we celebrate the chance to experience something real, something new, something unexpected.
We’re planning an impressive program of brilliant and diverse films in a dedicated to the talented storytellers that entertain us through film. From award winners to festival favourites, cult films, classic cinema, entertaining dramas, compelling documentaries, and dark comedies – expect to be entertained.
Starting October 27, Brisbane will welcome filmmakers and audiences from all over Australia and we encourage filmmakers both locally and internationally to submit their work to be part of BIFF 2022.
BIFF strongly encourages submissions from filmmakers who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, female, LGBTQIA+, living with a disability, regionally based and culturally and linguistically diverse.
Films selected for the 2022 program will be eligible for a number of new awards to be announced in the lead up to the festival.
FEATURE FILM RULES:
• BIFF accepts Australian and International feature films over 70 minutes in length, including credits.
• Feature films must have been completed within the last 2 years (after 14 April 2020)
• All non-English language films must be subtitled in English. If selected, the screening version must also be subtitled.
SHORT FILM RULES:
• We accept Australian and International short films up to a maximum 30 minutes in length, including credits.
• Short films must have been completed within the last 2 years (after 14 April 2020)
• All non-English language short films must be subtitled in English. If selected, the screening version must also be subtitled.
FEATURE AND SHORT FILM CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
Brisbane International Film Festival will take place 27 October - 06 November 2022. By submitting your film (Film) to Brisbane International Film Festival (Festival), which is organized by Gold Coast Film Fantastic Ltd (A.C.N. 098 091 260) (Organiser), you (Filmmaker) agree to the following:
1. All the information provided either through the online entry form or through email correspondence with The Organiser is true and accurate.
2. You either own the rights to, or have permission to use, the footage, sound, music, images and all other contributions that are part of the Film to the extent necessary to submit the Film to the Festival and, if accepted, screen the Film at the Festival. Please note: if you have any doubts about any of the rights in the Film, you must notify the Festival at the time of submission.
3. The film must be completed in the past two years with completion date after 14 April 2020.
4. Feature films must be 70 minutes+
To be eligible for consideration, all submissions must meet the following requirements:
• Films must not have been (or will not be) broadcast on television or a streaming platform or publicly screened, distributed or exhibited (for a targeted cinema release) in a physical location within the state of Queensland, Australia, prior to 27 October 2022. The only exceptions to this requirement are for private screenings held for cast, crew or investors, and film-school graduation screenings. Exemptions may be considered by the programming team on a film by film basis.
• Films must not have been (or will not be) available commercially online and accessible from the state of Queensland, Australia, either for free or via on-demand services prior to 27 October 2022. Screenings as part of a digital or online festival are permitted if the festival is for a limited run and geoblocked such that access by Australian viewers is prohibited. Exemptions may be considered by the programming team on a film by film basis.
Work In Progress submissions
Our programmers are well accustomed to viewing work that is near completion. If you need to send the film when there is still post-production work left to do, then please let us know what is left to be done (eg colour grade, sound mix, vfx). However, please note that we will not re-view different cuts of the same film, so it is best to wait until you have a cut you are happy with. If you are submitting a work in progress, please ensure a final completed film will be delivered to the festival (if the film is selected) by the content delivery date (noted below).
In the event of your short or feature film being officially selected, you will be notified by invitation. At that point an Official Selection form will be sent for your completion, to confirm the invitation has been accepted, and to gather all the information necessary for the presentation and marketing of the film in the Festival.
If your film is selected to screen as part of Brisbane International Film Festival:
1. You grant the organiser a royalty-free, non-exclusive, Australian license to screen the Film between 27 October - 06 November 2022.
2. You agree to provide the Organiser with a downloadable version of the short Film or DCP of the feature Film by no later than 10 October 2022 (10 October 2022 is the content delivery date.)
3. The Organiser will prepare professional session compiles at its own cost for screening at all its venues. You grant the Organiser all necessary rights to copy and otherwise reproduce the Film for the purpose of making such compiles and otherwise screening the Film and promoting the Festival and the Organiser
4. You must notify the Organiser immediately if any of the rights in the Film become disputed or a claim is made against you in relation to the Film.
5. You must indemnify the Organiser and the Festival from all claims made against the Organiser or the Festival arising from or in connection with the submission of the Film, or any infringement of any intellectual property in connection with the screening of the Film as part of the Festival.
6. You grant the Organiser and the Festival a royalty-free, non-exclusive Australian license to use film excerpts, film stills, press kits and other promotional materials from the Film for publicity and promotional purposes in relation to the Festival, including on its website.
All entrants must pay a flat fee per film entered. The fee varies based on the category entered and whether it is submitted in the early bird period or not. PLEASE NOTE, THE ENTRY FEE CANNOT BE WAIVERED AND IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
In the event that the Brisbane International Film Festival's in-person events are cancelled, restricted or rearranged due to COVID-19 or any other Government regulations, the Organiser will award all prizes to winners either during a digital awards ceremony or otherwise. Submission fees will not be refunded in the case of restrictions to the Festival.
1. Please note the team and judging PANEL DO NOT PROVIDE SPECIFIC FEEDBACK on unselected projects.
2. We DO NOT OFFER REFUNDS to films that aren’t selected for the festival.
Other Important details:
• Programming decisions are made at the discretion of the program manager and the programming team and take into consideration a myriad of factors for curation of the overall final festival program.
• It is the filmmakers’ responsibility to ensure that the film meets the eligibility criteria. If a film submitted subsequently becomes ineligible, while we are grateful if you could let us know, it is not possible to refund once films are already submitted.