Breakout Shorts is an online short film competition, supporting the best up and coming independent filmmakers from around the globe. We are proud to be a diverse competition - open to various genres and nationalities.
We welcome first-time to professional filmmakers, regardless if you produced your short film with zero budget and shot with your phone - it's all about the story NOT the production value. Don't think your film is not good enough!
Our competition is open to short narrative films, short documentaries and yet-to-be produced short screenplays.
Submissions close October 31, 2018. After this deadline all submissions will be reviewed and judged.
On November 24, 2018, the jury will whittle down each category (excluding screenplays) to 10. On December 1, 2018, Best Short Film and Best Short Documentary will be selected and the remaining 9 from each category will be awarded a finalist certificate and a finalist laurel.
The 2018 will be an online competition only. However, in 2019 we will host our first live festival. The winning films from 2018 will be screened at this event.
Best Short Film:
Not only will your film be heavily promoted on our social media sites (trailer or full video) - but you will also be awarded with our coveted trophy (which we will post to your desired location). Your film will also be given our Best Short Film laurel.
Breakout Film Festival will also award the winner a $1000 USD cash prize.
For the Short Film category we will also award Best Director, Actor, Actress and Writer - there is no prize money, however you will be awarded our certificate and laurel. The winning short film will also be shown at our debut live screening event at the 2019 film festival.
Best Short Documentary:
Your documentary will also be heavily promoted on our social media sites (trailer or full video) - but you will also be awarded with our coveted trophy (which we will post to your desired location). Your documentary will also be given our Best Short Documentary laurel. The cash prize is $500. The winning documentary will also be shown at our debut live screening event at the 2019 film festival.
Best Short Screenplay:
The winner of our Best Short Screenplay, which is for yet-to-be produced material - will be awarded our coveted trophy (which we will post to your desired location). The cash prize is $250
If your short is selected to the final 10 from each category (screenplays not included) we will share your film on our website (trailer or full video) as we want to help you get the audience your film deserves. We will also award each finalist a finalist laurel and certificate.
1. Short films must be submitted in a digital format via FilmFreeway.
2. Foreign language films must be submitted with English subtitles.
3. International films are welcome.
4. Our submission fees for short films and documentaries is $10.00. Screenplay submission is $5 - this is non-refundable.
5. Please make sure you own the copyright to all aspects of your short film, including music and footage - your film WILL be rejected if found to be in breach of copyright.
6. More than one entry may be submitted. Each short film has to be submitted separately.
7. Films MUST be between 1 and 40 minutes in duration (including opening and closing credits).
8. We accept films that have already been submitted to other film festivals/competitions.
9. If your short film is available to watch on a video sharing platform such as YouTube, you can still enter as we want to support filmmakers growing their audience and availability.
10. All films must be produced after December 31, 2015.
11. Short screenplays must be between 1-40 pages long.
By submitting, you hereby agree to the terms listed above. Breakout Shorts Film Festival may also use your film for promotional purposes on our website and social media platforms.