Breakout Shorts is an international short film festival for independent filmmakers. We are proud to be a diverse competition - open to various genres, nationalities and skill-sets.
We welcome first-time to professional filmmakers. Our competition is open to short narrative films 40 minutes or less.
Submissions closed February 28, 2019. All submissions are currently being judged by our team of experienced film professionals.
By March 17, 2019, entrants will be notified if selected for our live screening event in Edinburgh, Scotland on the 4thMay 2019. Selection to the event will also include a nomination for Best Short Film.
Our short screenplay competition has now closed. The winning short screenplay was announced on November 11, 2019.
Best Short Film:
The winning short film, as voted for by our judges, will receive our coveted trophy and $1000 cash prize. Finalists will receive our certificate of excellence.
1. All films must be submitted in a digital format via FilmFreeway.
2. Foreign language films must be submitted with English subtitles.
3. International films are welcome.
4. Our standard submission fee is $10.00.
5. Please make sure you own the copyright to all aspects of your work, including music and footage - your film WILL be rejected if found to be in breach of copyright.
6. More than one entry may be submitted. Each film has to be submitted separately.
7. Short films MUST be between 1 and 40 minutes in duration (including opening and closing credits).
8. We accept films that have already been submitted to other film festivals/competitions.
9. If your material is available to watch on a video sharing platform such as YouTube, you can still enter as we want to support filmmakers growing their audience and availability.
10. All films must be produced after December 31, 2015.
By submitting, you hereby agree to the terms listed above. Breakout Film Festival may also use snippits of your film for promotional purposes on our website and social media platforms.