Böwö is a 3-Day Short Film Festival in the at risk community of Limón to showcase Costa Rican short films to educate, and inspire the local community composed mainly of women and youth about education, innovation and entertainment towards building using film creation as a tool towards building more resilient and safe communities.
ENSO Films has the mission of promoting, strengthening and supporting art and culture, especially film. With the financial support of the United States Embassy and culture and community oriented ONG's like Filmoteca and Semillas we are creating this Böwö Short Film Festival initiative with the important goal of offering a window to Costa Rican cinema in regions of the country with no access to movie theaters.
This 2020 our gathering for the Böwö Short Film Festival will be Cieneguita, Limón. You are cordially invited!
We will be awarding a statuette for the Best Short Film in Contest
The first Böwö Short Film Festival will be held in the community of Cieneguita, Limón, Costa Rica, from August 2020. Böwö is a 3-Day Short Film Festival in the community of Cieneguita, Limón to showcase Costa Rican short films to educate, and inspire the local community composed mainly of women and youth about education, innovation and entertainment. Film creation can be a tool towards building more resilient and safe communities.
Cieneguita’s BÖWÖ Film Festival’s objectives are:
1. Create a short film festival structure for the community of Cieneguita to enjoy the cinematic experience, learn about costarican filmography and offer a glimpse into the world of filmmaking.
2. Produce the first edition of the BÖWÖ Short Film Festival in order to expose the community of Cieneguita to costarican cinema and it’s history through both contemporary and historically acclaimed Short Films.
3. Create and Manage a cultural activity that might be a window for the community to showcase their own culture, local businesses and community initiatives. Along with the short film screenings can be arranged a marketplace-type of area for different local entrepreneurs.
4. Develop a Short Film Festival model that can be reproduced in different communities in Costa Rica in further iterations of the festival.
The Festival’s program comprises the following sections:
The annual competition for the Böwö Short Film Festival awards and showcases a selection of the most recent production of short length films in Costa Rica, previously selected by a curator team. This year Festival calls for entries to the Competitions in Fiction, Opera Documentary and Animation.
A sample of the best cinematic works by one of the best-known film schools in the world provided by the U.S embassy
Short films from renowned filmmakers from Costa Rica, that have had social and cultural impact in or film history.
1. The Competition is open to works in Fiction, Documentary, and Animation.
2. Only productions primarily made by Costa Rican directors or producers are accepted and finished in 2018, 2019 or 2020 will be accepted.
3. Dialogues, narration and other filmic texts must be in Spanish; otherwise, a Spanish subtitled version must be available. Subtitling costs will be covered by the producer.
4. A film can only be entered once for Festival consideration.
5. Films can be available anywhere and we do not demand a premiere status.
6. No shorts which feature a Böwö Short Film Festival production team member will be accepted.
7. Maximum duration will be 40 minutes.