The critically acclaimed Boulder International Film Festival (BIFF) has gained a reputation as one of the most influential and innovative film festivals in the U.S., with a large number of new-but-unknown feature films, documentaries, and shorts that have gone from early screenings at BIFF to significant box-office success and multiple Oscar nominations.
BIFF features work from new, emerging, and A-list filmmakers, 25,000 attendees, and numerous celebrity guests. The BIFF Program Advisory Board includes voting members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences® who assist with programming and attend the Festival annually. Major industry who have attended the Festival include big-leaguers like The Hollywood Reporter, MovieMaker Magazine, DreamWorks, 20th Century Fox, A & E IndieFilms, IFC, The Orchard, Lionsgate, Searchlight Pictures, and worldwide film sales company Submarine Entertainment.
We have been proud to honor some of the world’s most admired talents including Jesse Eisenberg, Emilio Estevez, James Franco, Shirley MacLaine, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, William H. Macy, Blythe Danner, Alan Arkin, Bruce Dern, Maria Bello, Peter Fonda, and director Oliver Stone, along with many independent filmmakers, stars and special guests including Presidential Medal of Freedom honoree Congressman John Lewis, legendary musician David Crosby, and Robbie Robertson of “The Band”.
“If happiness is a state of mind, Boulder is its capital”, Jim Axelrod, CBS News Sunday Morning
Located at the foot of the stunning Rocky Mountains, easy-going Boulder Colorado is a traditional magnet for the tech-savvy, music & film-loving outdoors-person who also likes to party. Along with a major University film school, we have hundreds of miles of running, skiing and hiking trails, world-class restaurants, hotels, galleries, shops and bars, all surrounded by a scenic 46,000-acre moat of Boulder Open Space. The population of Boulder County is 300,000 and Boulder is just 45 minutes from the Denver International Airport. Boulder was voted “Happiest Town in America” in a Gallup poll, “Smartest Town in the U.S” by Forbes Magazine, “Place you Dream of Living” by Backpacker Magazine, "The Worst-dressed City That Looks Best Naked", by GQ Magazine ,"The Foodiest Town in America" by Bon Appetit, and “#1: Best Place to Live” by Men’s Journal.
Submit to BIFF today, you'll love it here.
Films are eligible for the prestigious "Grand Jury", "Best of the Festival" and "People's Choice" awards.
1. Only one title per entry.
2. Films must have been completed after July 1, 2020.
3. Feature length films should not be commercially available on DVD, Blu-Ray, on-demand service or other format intended for private viewing and will not air on television, via internet streaming service or other public broadcast in the United States prior to March 3, 2022, with the exception of other film festival virtual screenings. Short films are exempted from this rule.
4. All films must be submitted online through FilmFreeway for consideration.
5. DCP is the exhibition format in 2 of our venues. DCP must be DCI compliant, keys must be open for window as specified by Festival. If we schedule your film in our non-DCP venue, we will require a Digital File Format (Quicktime) or professionally made Blu-ray for screening. Blu-rays or Quicktime files must be provided as a backup for ALL exhibition copies including DCP. We may also need a digital file for virtual screenings.
6. Please be aware that although we are planning a large in-person festival, we may have to adjust the nature and/or the date of the festival due to COVID. From an in person event, to a part in-person/part virtual event, or to a completely virtual festival. If these configurations do not work for you, please do not enter BIFF at this time.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I hereby represent and warrant that I am the owner or the authorized representative for the owner(s) of the film (the “Film”) being submitted pursuant to this submission agreement (the “Agreement”) for public exhibition and inclusion in the 2022 Boulder International Film Festival (the “Festival”) March 3-6, 2022 and that I have all the necessary rights and authority to submit the Film to the Festival and to enter into and obligate the owner(s) of the Film to enter into this Agreement.
I represent and warrant that:
• I have obtained all necessary releases, licenses, authorization and permission from the owner(s) of any and all content and rights owned by third parties included in the Film, including without limitation all copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy and publicity, and contract rights, and nothing in the Film shall infringe upon or violate the rights of any third party. The Colorado Film Society (“CFS”) disclaims any responsibility for, and will not be held responsible for, any unauthorized inclusion of any third-party content or materials within or relating to the submitted Film, including any content or materials that are or may become the basis for any third party claims.
• There is no legal action presently pending, threatened or reasonably anticipated in connection with the Film.
I acknowledge and agree that in the event of any disagreement or dispute in connection with this Agreement or submission of the Film to the Festival, the parties will first attempt to resolve such disputes through good-faith negotiation. In the event such dispute is not promptly resolved, the parties agree that any legal action shall be brought only in arbitration before a mutually agreed-upon arbitrator in Boulder or Denver, Colorado, and I hereby submit to venue and personal jurisdiction in connection with the same. The arbitrator shall have the power to award, and shall be required to award, to the substantially prevailing party in any such arbitration, its reasonable attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses incurred in connection with the arbitration.
In the event that the Film is selected by the Festival, I further grant the CFS the right to utilize the Film; the names, likenesses and biographical information of the producer(s), director(s), performer(s) and others associated with the Film; and images, stills, and excerpts from the Film for promotional and outreach purposes.
I agree that I will not enter into or permit any agreement or arrangement concerning the Film, including without limitation a distribution agreement, sales representation agreement, third party marketing agreement or similar, unless such agreement explicitly permits the rights granted in this Agreement, including without limitation the public exhibition of the film at the Festival.
I agree to indemnify and hold CFS, its directors, employees and agents, and the Festival harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any type of claim whatsoever in connection with the Film or its submission, acceptance or exhibition at the Festival, including without limitation breach of any representation, warranty or obligation set forth in this Agreement. I further agree that in the event of a breach of any representation, warranty or obligation set forth in this Agreement which reasonably precludes exhibition of the Film at the Festival, in addition to any other remedies available at law or in equity, I will pay to the CFS liquidated damages in the amount equivalent to ticket sales for one screening at the main Festival venue.
I have read and accept the terms and conditions described on this Agreement and I understand that acceptance of the Film to the Festival shall be in the sole discretion of the CFS. If the film is selected for the Festival, I grant permission for public exhibition of the Film during the Festival from March 3-6, 2022 and I agree to comply with all rules and reasonable requests of the CFS in connection with the same, including without limitation providing the exhibition copy of the film requested in good condition (DCP, Digital Media File, or Professionally made Blu-ray), a digital version of the film for virtual screenings, and a backup version of the Film (Blu-ray, Digital Media File, DVD) at least two weeks prior to the Festival.
I understand that the CFS has the right to adjust the nature and/or the date of the festival due to COVID. From an in person event, to a part in-person/part virtual event, to an outdoor cinema event, or to a completely virtual festival.
By entering through FilmFreeway, on behalf of myself and the owner(s) of the Film, I freely and voluntarily give and express full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement.