The Blood in the Snow Film Festival (BITS) was first created in 2012 with a mandate to highlight the best in contemporary genre filmmaking in Canada.
The 2024 Blood in the Snow Film Festival will take place in-person in Toronto in November 18 to 23, 2024. The theatre is just steps away from the Museum station (across from the ROM) and the theatre is fully wheelchair accessible. The theatre seats 500 combined on the floor and balcony and is outfitted with a Christie IMB 2200 Digital Cinema projector.
Blood in the Snow has the reputation of being a "filmmaker’s festival". There are activities all week long allowing filmmakers to network with other filmmakers and other important industry contacts. Filmmaker activities include industry panels, VIP industry cocktail socials and after parties every night of the festival.
Blood in the Snow is generously funded in part by Telefilm Canada, Ontario Creates and the Independent Production Fund. The Blood in the Snow Film Festival is also on the eligibility list of festivals for the Canadian Screen Awards.
Blood in the Snow works to attract extensive press coverage. Past coverage has included reviews, interviews and profiles by outlets such as CP24, Sirius XM, The Star, NOW Magazine, Newstalk 1010 and Rue Morgue Magazine.
All selected directors will receive a Filmmaker Pass that will get you into all of the in-person screenings at the festival for free.
Awards & Prizes
We give out a series of awards called "The Bloodies" given out during the festival:
- Best Feature
- Best Short
- Best Digital series
- Best Lead Acting Performance in a feature
- Best Supporting Acting Performance in a feature
- Best Lead Acting Performance in a short film
- Best Supporting Acting Performance in a short film
- Best Director
- Best Screenplay
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Best Special FX
- Best Music Score
- Best Sound Design
Toronto Premiere status is required for feature films and short films. Previous local cast and crew screenings in Toronto can possibility disqualify you as well. You as the lead filmmaker(s) is required to attend the festival and promote your screening, if selected. We take your film playing Blood in the Snow seriously and we expect you to as well.
Any questions about eligibility, please email email@example.com before submitting.
We focus on Canadian filmmakers but we are now open to Canadian / international co-production films as well. Please read the submission requirements carefully BEFORE submitting.
By Canadian we mean that:
- the film has a Canadian director (permanent residence or citizen) and;
- must be shot in Canada AND/OR have a predominately Canadian crew.
The International category are for international films that are co-productions with a Canadian company
- The main crew (Director/Producer) is a Canadian working abroad.
- The main actor(s) is a Canadian working abroad.
*IMPORTANT: For the Co-Production category, please follow up with an email to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know what aspect of the film is Canadian.
For the web series category, please submit one episode that you think best represents your series. We don't need a premiere status for the web series category and can be available online.
BITS HORROR DEVELOPMENT LAB SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1. Please submit one polished, completed short film or pilot (3 to 30 minutes in length). The film example doesn't have to be a proof of concept and can be a film that shows your best work. Music videos and documentaries are discouraged for this category.
2. Please include applicant biography (director, writer and/or producer)
3. Upload (under Files & Attachments) a maximum 3 page proposal (or pitch book) describing the project. Please include a story description, bios of the team attached, a general budget summary and anything else you'd like to tell us about the project.
4. DO NOT submit any scripts.
If you have any questions about our requirements, please email us at email@example.com to check first before submitting.
By applying to BITS you have agreed to the terms listed above and that there are no submission fee refunds.