Black Warrior Film Festival is an annual student-run film festival that looks to showcase the unique talents of student filmmakers. In order to submit to BWFF, you must be a graduate or undergraduate student.
Best Sound Design/Music
Best Production Design
2019 Black Warrior FILM FESTIVAL OFFICIAL GUIDELINES AND RULES:
I. Certification of Film or Screenplay Entrant
II. Film Submissions
III. Screenplay Submissions
IV. General Waiver Rules and Guidelines
I. Certification of Film or Screenplay Entrant:
I, the undersigned, acknowledge and agree as follows:
1. I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility information, Submission
Guidelines, Terms and Conditions of Entry and Entry Eligibility requirements.
2. To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true;
3. This production (narrative short or documentary, or other media) is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation;
4. I am duly authorized to submit this production to the competition;
5. I hold The Black Warrior Film Festival (BWFF) harmless from any damage to the print(s) or tape(s) or media en route or otherwise during the course of the festivals possession of the film;
6. I hold the Black Warrior Film Festival (BWFF), its management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from my entry.
7. I certify that I have full rights to the use of the music in the production.
8. I give permission for the BWFF to use excerpts of up to three minutes of the production for promotional purposes, unless otherwise noted in attached writing and submitted with entry.
9. I give permission for the BWFF to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the production for promotional purposes.
10. I give permission for the BWFF to screen the production at the BWFF event.
11. Submitter must own all copyrights; (If requested) must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Submitter/Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
12. I give my permission for the BWFF to share my film and contact information with BWFF festival partners unless I specify otherwise.
13. Entry does not guarantee acceptance into BWFF festival or other BWFF events.
II. FILM SUBMISSIONS
1. SUBMISSION FORMAT: All Festival submissions should be submitted through FilmFreeway as an online screener.
2. SUBMISSION LENGTH AND GENRE: The BWFF is open genre; meaning we accept all forms and genres that would be deemed within a G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17 rating by BWFF staff. We do not accept pornographic entertainment.
3. Submissions WILL NOT be returned.
4. MULTIPLE ENTRIES are allowed.
5. PRODUCER / FILMMAKER / COPYRIGHTS: submitter (filmmaker or producer) will be referred to as producer or submitter. Producer must own all copyrights; must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
6. SUBMISSION DEADLINES: Entrants are expect to enter by the deadline with assets (including
screening copy and fees) to be received within 5 business days following the deadline.
7. ENTRY FEES: View the "Call for Entries"; to note fees and deadlines. Entry fees are non-refundable. If your entry fee is not received with or prior to your submission, your entry may be deemed disqualified at the discretion of the BWFF.
8. ORIGINATING FORMAT: Film, digital and new media originating formats are accepted for
9. PRESENTATION FORMAT: If accepted into the BWFF, producers must be able to provide a file for digital presentation. Other formats may be permitted.
10. DATE OF COMPLETION: Not specified.
11. PREMIERE/DISTRIBUTION STATUS: We accept submissions that have premiered elsewhere; submissions may have distribution agreements already in place. However, TV, theatrical, video, cable, pay-per-view, other festival, or other distribution outlets that run concurrently or in the same month of the festival may not be eligible for screening. Decisions made at BWFF discretion.
12. LOSS OR DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to prevent or loss or damage to materials while in the possession of the festival. However, Producer agrees to release the BWFF from responsibility should any materials be damaged while in transit to or from, or while in the possession of the BWFF.
13. ROUGH CUTS AND INCOMPLETE PROJECTS: Always try to send the best representation of your project. Rough cuts can be entered in contest, but must be completed and received within four weeks.
14. BWFF MARKETING: By submitting producer is consenting for use and copying of accepted projects for the purpose of promoting the Black Warrior Film Festival and future festivals. Producer is giving BWFF permission to use up to three minutes of submission to promote the festival.
15a. BWFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting to the festival, if chosen as an official selection, Producer is hereby granting permission for the BWFF to exhibit Producer's submission in the festival event.
15b. BWFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting, Producer acknowledges that the
number of films the festival selects and exhibits may vary from year-to-year based on, but not limited to, total number of entries, quality of entries, final sponsorship revenue, and venue availability. Decisions are final and at the discretion of the BWFF.
15c. BWFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: Producer further understands that there is no monetary compensation for entering, exhibiting or being chosen as an official selection to the festival.
16. SCREENERS AND JURY: All screening, selection, and jury decisions are final. Our panel of
jurors and our screening committee use a rating system on entries and official selections. They screen many fine films; however, as with all festivals there is limited programming availability. By entering the BWFF and any of its contests, Producers are verifying that you understand entry does not guarantee a screening. Additionally, being chosen as an Official Selection does not guarantee a screening in the theater either. Decisions are final and at the discretion of the BWFF.
17. OFFICIAL SELECTIONS: If chosen as an official selection, the BWFF will request
acknowledgment of your acceptance and additional materials. If any of the requested materials are not received by the festival in the time allotted, it is at the discretion of the festival to keep or remove
the project as an Official Selection.
18. QUALIFIERS: Entrants must adhere to the category requirements as outlined on the website.
III. SCREENPLAYS (any length)
a. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter this competition.
b. Must have completed the project by the time of the festival last year and must be a student
filmmaker in either undergraduate or graduate level to submit.
a. Any genre can be entered.
b. Multiple authorship is allowed.
c. Multiple entries are allowed, but each entry must be accompanied by their own completed entry form and their own appropriate entry fee. You are allowed to mail them to us in one package.
For Complete and Current Rules, please visit http://www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com as it is the expectation that all entrants adhere to the most recent set of rules and terms as posted on our website.