Welcome to BFFLA an event dedicated to Black film makers all around the world, The Black Film Festival Los Angeles is one of the biggest film festivals in LA. With the emerge of the Black lives matter movement its only right that we strive for black excellence in Hollywood by providing a platform for our film makers. Our vision is unique we aim to advocate for black film makers all around the world by bridging the gap to Hollywood.
As an international Film Festival we accept submission from individuals from all walks of life and film genre's . Our mission is to provide a platform for our youth that represents hope in the Black film making Community
The Black Film Festival Los Angeles is a Online Competition and the monthly winner are automatically entered into our annual yearly competition.
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Best Religious Film
Best Action Film
Best Comedy Film
Best Drama/Suspense Film
Best Horror Film
Best Web Series
Best Director Feature Film
Best Director Short Film
Best Director Web Series
Best Student Film
Best Actor Feature Film
Best Actress Feature Film
Best Actor Short Film
Best Actress Short Film
Best Actor Web Series
Best Actress Web Series
Best Actor Student Film
Best Actress Student Film
Best Director Student Film
Best Music Video
Selected films will be screened online & receive laurels. winners will be announced on our website and on social media the day of the screening. Films selected by judges will be screened in theater.
1. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via the participating submission platform FilmFreeway with a password-protected streaming URL.
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES. is not responsible for the streaming quality of online screeners.
4. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival immediately with that change so we may update your record.
5. BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES screens films as digital files from DCP during the Festival.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you are acknowledging that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in the film, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
3. BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
1. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished.
2. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES in connection with the dispute.
3. You MUST include your physical address either in your entry or in your cover letter. Please do not submit a film without giving us your address, which we need for our records.
Selected Films and Winners
1. BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: identities of screeners or judges notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or details regarding the submission review or selection process. All information regarding the rating process is through the FilmFreeway rating system provided by FilmFreeway
2. Winners will be announced on November 6th 2021. The judges’ decision is final.
3. Official selections will be announced prior to November 1st 2021
Copyright BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES LA Film Festivals 2021. All rights reserved.
Submissions Rules for BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES:
1. Entrants must submit an online link to a screener with password (if applicable). This link must not require download and must remain active and accessible through the closing date of the festival.
2. Entry forms and payment will not be processed without accompanying submission link in accepted format.
3. All entries must be in English or - SUBTITLED, DUBBED, unless special arrangements have been made with festival.
4. All films selected for screening grant BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES Film Festivals the right to use stills and excerpts of up to two minutes for promotional purposes.
5. Festival is not responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged entries. DCP’s and other media will not be returned except for the day of the screening at the theater.
6. Exceptions to the festival regulations must be authorized by the Festival Director.
7. Multiple entries in a single festival are permissible, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry form and fee.
8. Entries may be submitted to multiple festivals, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry form and fee.
9. All fees are nonrefundable.
10. Submitting is not a guarantee of being programmed.
TERMS & CONDITIONS - by submitting to any AFFILIATE FESTIVAL under the BLACK FILM FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES Film Festivals you agree to the following:
I/We wish to have our film/animation/TV pilot/web series/music video/filmed sketch comedy entry(ies) hereby known as “ENTRY” included in one or more AFFILIATE FESTIVALS under the BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES Film Festivals, including but not limited to BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES Film Festivals will hereby be known as “BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES”.
I/We grant BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, festival director, and sponsors the right to show for promotional purposes on television, on the BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES website, on sponsors websites, Social Media, fliers, posters, press releases, festival trailer, etc. any material including the ENTRY and/or stills submitted by me/us with this application. No more than two minutes or up to the length of the trailer submitted by the filmmakers may be used. I/we understand that no materials included with this application will be returned.
If more than one (1) party signs this agreement as submitter, then reference to “I”, “me”, “my” throughout this agreement shall apply to each party; jointly and separately.
I grant BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, festival director, Deven Powers and its sponsors the full and free right and permission to use my ENTRY for broadcast, duplication, and advertising in association with BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, for the purpose of viewing on television, in theaters, on the internet, on the BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES website, on sponsors’ websites, podcasting and/or for archival purposes and for any other valid, lawful purpose in any and all media now known or hereafter developed or devised, worldwide and in perpetuity. I may opt-out from any future use by providing a written notice within thirty days after the final date of the festival, stating that my ENTRY may not be used after the closing festival date or receipt of request, whichever is later. A copy of ENTRY may still be kept for archival purposes. I waive any right to inspect or approve the finished videotape, sound track, photograph, advertising copy, audio piece or printed matter that may be used or to the eventual use that it may be applied.
I hereby release, discharge and agree to hold harmless BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, its officers, agencies employees and sponsors, agencies and employees, from and against any liability as a result of any use, distortion, blurring or alteration that may occur or be introduced in any use or broadcast of the material.
I grant BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES permission to give a copy of the ENTRY to industry members if requested. Industry, includes but is not limited to network executives, agents, managers, casting directors, press and others that can aid in securing of future work and/or distribution for my ENTRY.
I waive any and all rights to compensation for any broadcast, duplication, and advertising of any ENTRY presented at the festival. All ownership of all ENTRY remains with the personnel who contributed to the ENTRY. I own all material submitted with application and that will be viewed at BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES. I understand that BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, its producers and sponsors are relying on this release and accordingly, I hereby irrevocably waive any and all rights to seek or obtain any injunction or other equitable relief against BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, its officers, agencies, employees and sponsors.
I warrant that the use of the rights granted here and of any material supplied by me/us will not violate the rights of any third party. I agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, its officers, agencies, employees and sponsors from any claims by third parties alleging that our content or material infringes on any third party’s rights. This Release and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind my assigns and any representative.
This contract is the entire agreement between the parties hereto, and replaces and supersedes any prior agreement or understanding, verbal or written, with respect to the subject matter hereof. No amendment, addendum, modification or waiver of this contract or any portion hereof shall be valid unless contained in a writing signed by both parties hereto.
In exchange for release, I receive the opportunity to have my ENTRY shown at BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES and accept that there is no promise of additional payment, in any form for likeness, image, biography, recording, equipment, or for any other contribution by us on this production.
This contract shall be deemed to be entered into in Los Angeles County, California, and shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California applicable to agreements entered into and carried out entirely within California. I agree that any and all disputes or controversies arising under this contract or any of its terms shall be resolved under the auspices of the American Arbitration Association, under its Commercial Arbitration Rules, through its Los Angeles, California office; provided, however that I agree that my remedies for any breach of this contract by the BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES, its officers, agencies, employees and sponsors will be limited to damages to an action at law to recover and in no event will I be entitled to rescind or terminate this agreement or to seek injunctive or any other equitable relief.
I hereby certify that I am over eighteen years of age and competent to contract in my own name. If I am signing on behalf of an organization, I certify that I have authority to do so and that my signature binds the organization and its performers to all elements of this contract.
I have read the foregoing release and authorization and agreement before submitting my entry fee and form, and warrant that I fully understand and agree to the contents thereof.
I am authorized to sign and give consent for everyone (including but not limited to performers, writers, directors, technical crew, distributors) who contributed to all ENTRY(IES) and all materials submitted with this application to BLACK FILM FESTIVAL LOS ANGELES reserves the right to refuse to consider any submission at our discretion.