Berlin Sci-fi is now in its fourth year and in 2020 we are looking to expand the horizons of the festival making it more interesting, international & film-maker friendly. Here you can present your work to a live audience in one of the most beautiful & famous cinemas in the Europe - The Babylon, Berlin. 2019 featured some amazing guests including: Sebasyian Khayat (VFX co-ordinator on Shazam & Hellboy), Robert Fitzhugh (Director of Dublin Smartphone Film Festival) & Alex LeMay (Content Creator & producer for Universal Studios & YouTube Red).
As part of this year submissions, ALL ENTRANTS will receive:
1) A special 20% discount code to Producer/Director Hasraf ‘HaZ’ Dulull Sci-fi Filmmaking masterclass series - Filmmaking 101. (preview: vimeo.com/ondemand/filmmaking101)
2) A complimentary copy of Anthony Straegers 'Creating Success with your Submissions'. This booklet will assist you in getting the most out of your submissions. It will help give you the best chance of success not only in the Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest, but in pursuing other festivals.
PLUS: We additionally have some wonderful SPONSORED PRIZES for some of our winners.
Category Sponsorship from NewBlue FX, winners will receive a 1-year license to their TotalFX360 package. Worth $239.
Best Director and Best VFX by BorisFX and will receive a 1-year license to two magnificent packages each. Worth a combined value of over $4,000.
Outstanding German contribution and Outstanding Film will receive Red Giants I year License to Red Giant Complete. Worth $600.
Our festival represent the first genre specific Sci-fi film festival in Germany. We are passionate about film making and all things Sci-fi. Geek interest, documentary, web-series, narrative, animation, music, experimental, fan-films. Berlin Sci-fi celebrates the 'Science Fiction Genre', its film-makers and all who seek out new life and new civilizations, boldly going where no-one has gone before.
You can submit in the following categories:
Best Feature (Min. 60 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Drama Short (Max. 40 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Action Short (Max. 40 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Comedy Short (Max. 40 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Fan Film (Max. 50 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Experimental/Music (Max. 30 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Documentary (any length) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Animation Short (any length)
Each of the winners of the sponsored category will receive as a prize a 1 year License for NewBlue FX - TotalFX 360 package worth $239.
Outstanding German Contribution - Sponsored by Red Giant - I yr License to Red Giant Complete worth $600
Outstanding Film Award - Sponsored by Red Giant - I yr License to Red Giant Complete worth $600
Grand Jury Award
Outstanding Student Award
There are additional awards for:
Best Director - Sponsored by BorisFX - 1yr license to Sapphire/Continuum Bundle worth $2195.00
Best Original Score
Best VFX - Sponsored by BorisFX - 1yr license for Mocha/Silhouette Bundle worth $1995.00
All of the winners will receive the prestigious Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest 3D print award. If you are unable to attend the award will be sent, but shipping costs must be met if you're not in attendance.
Winners, Runner-ups and nominated finalists can order Certificate from the Berlin Sci-fi website, these will be sent as PDF.
Terms & Conditions of Entry into BerIin Sci-fi Filmfest
1. Films submitted must belong to the Sci-fi/Fantasy genre. Films not belonging to the Sci-fi/fantasy genre will not be taken into consideration.
2. We welcome films from any country in the world. If the film is in any other language other than English, we need embedded subtitles.
3. If selected the submitter must provide within 30 days of notification the following. A non-watermarked film, a poster, a log-line synopsis (no more that 20 words), key cast and role and production year.
4. All submissions are preferred as a DCP file, if this is not possible a high res MOV is an option. Make sure we have access to a high quality download (via VIMEO etc) as soon as possible.
5. If you can send the DCP to us on hard drive or USB stick. Make sure you have a return P&P. For further information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Please do not ask for a full fee waiver. Waivers are only offered to films we invite. There is a student rate included in the submissions panel
1. The submitter agrees that they are the owner of the work and/or the legal representative of the work. You are responsible for all copyright clearances. This including music, model/actor releases, distribution rights etc.
2. If you have a distribution deal or sales agent, we advise that you consult them. Get a letter of agreement allowing you to submit to Berlin Sci-fi. Please consult all your partners before entering.
3. Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest is not liable for any infringement on copyright and/or ownership clearance issues.
4. The Submitter accepts full responsibility for any breach of intellectual or trademark property.
5. By submitting, you give Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest permission to use the film and/or trailers and/or any other marketing materials you supply. This is for promotional purposes for the festival.
6. By submitting you give Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest permission to screen the film royalty-free during the festival. This includes alternative venues and designated times.
7. Once a film is accepted into the festival and programmed, it can no longer be withdraw from the festival line-up.
8. FAN FILMS: We welcome and accept fan films to this festival. The filmmaker/submitter must have all permissions from the copyright holder. This includes the franchise holder and/or the intellectual property owner.
9. By submitting, the filmmakers agrees he has read and understood these terms & conditions of entry.
10. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change, modify or otherwise alter these 'Terms and Conditions' at any time. Unless otherwise indicated, amendments will become effective immediately. Please review these Terms and Conditions and stand from: 01.01.2020.
GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
If you have any specific questions about your data and for more information on our data protection policy visit:
https://www.berlinscifi.com/privacy-policy/. You can also email us at email@example.com.
That we are self funded and have no primary sponsorship partners. As a result, if your film is accepted, we DO NOT provide accommodation or flights for you to attend the festival. You will receive TWO FESTIVAL PASSES. If you wish to take part in a Question and Answer and/or a Panel Discussion please contact us within a reasonable time frame before the event. So that we can schedule accordingly.