Now in our 4th Year we're offering a platform for Independent Sci-fi Filmmakers to present their work to a live audience in one of the most beautiful & famous cinemas in the Europe - The Babylon, Berlin. In 2019 we had some amazing guests including: Sebasyian Khayat (VFX co-ordinator on Shazam & Hellboy), Robert Fitzhugh (Director of Dublin Smartphone Film Festival) & Alex LeMay (Content Creator & producer for Universal Studios & YouTube Red).
In 2020 we are look to expand the horizons of the festival making it more interesting, more international & more film-maker friendly. As part of this year ALL ENTRANTS will receive on submitting:
1) A special 20% discount code to Producer/Director Hasraf ‘HaZ’ Dulull Sci-fi Filmmaking masterclass series - Filmmaking 101 (preview: vimeo.com/ondemand/filmmaking101)
2) A free copy of Anthony Straegers 'Creating Success with your Submissions'. This will booklet will assist you getting the most out of your submissions and giving yourself the best chance of success not only in the Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest, but in pursuing other film festivals.
PLUS: We have organised some wonderful SPONSORED PRIZES for some of our winners. We have Category Sponsorship from NewBlue FX and winners will receive a 1yr license to their TotalFX360 package worth $239 - Best Director and Best VFX have been sponsored by BorisFX and will receive a 1yr license to 2 magnificent packages each, worth a total value of over $4000. Outstanding German contribution and Outstanding Film will receive Red Giants I yr License to Red Giant Complete worth $600.
Our festival was the first genre specific Sci-fi film festival in Germany and we're passionate about film making and all things Sci-fi from geek interest, documentary, web-series, narrative, animation, music, experimental, fan-films and more. We are all about celebrating the 'Science Fiction Genre', its film-makers and all who seek out new life and new civilizations, boldly going where no-one has gone before.
You can submit in the following categories:
Best Feature (Min. 60 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Drama Short (Max. 40 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Action Short (Max. 40 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Comedy Short (Max. 40 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Fan Film (Max. 50 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Experimental/Music (Max. 30 minutes) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Documentary (any length) - Sponsored by NewBlueFX
Best Animation Short (any length)
Each of the winners of the sponsored category will receive as a prize a 1 year License for NewBlue FX - TotalFX 360 package worth $239.
Outstanding German Contribution - Sponsored by Red Giant - I yr License to Red Giant Complete worth $600
Outstanding Film Award - Sponsored by Red Giant - I yr License to Red Giant Complete worth $600
Grand Jury Award
There are additional awards for:
Best Director - Sponsored by BorisFX - 1yr license to Sapphire/Continuum Bundle worth $2195.00
Best Original Score
Best VFX - Sponsored by BorisFX - 1yr license for Mocha/Silhouette Bundle worth $1995.00
All of the winners will receive the prestigious Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest 3D print award. If you are unable to attend the award will be sent, but shipping costs must be met if you're not in attendance.
Winners, Runner-ups and nominated finalists can order Certificate from the Berlin Sci-fi website, these will be sent as PDF.
Terms & Conditions of Entry into BerIin Sci-fi FiImfest
1. Films submitted must belong to the Sci-fi/Fantasy genre. Films not belonging to the Sci-fi/fantasy genre will not be taken into consideration.
2. We welcome films from any country in the world, however, if the film is in any other language other than English, we require embedded subtitles..
3. The submitter must provide: a non-watermarked film, a poster, a log-line synopsis (one sentence only), credits with cast and role included, production year.
4. By submitting (and in the event the film is selected) it is agreed that you will supply us with all the material we require, e.g. the film, all film credit information, 1 Poster or 2 Production stills - Within 30 days of notification.
5. All submissions are preferred as a DCP file, if this is not possible a high res MOV is preferred. Make sure we have access to a high quality download (VIMEO etc) as soon as possible.
6. If you would prefer to send us a hard drive or USB stick, make sure you have a return P&P, for further information contact us: email@example.com
7. Secondary category:
• Films must be submitted to a primary genre first, and to a secondary category after.
• The secondary category must be specified, or it may be disqualified.
• Films submitted into the secondary category only will be rejected.
1. The submitter agrees that they are the owner of the work or is the legal representative of the work. You are responsible for all copyright clearances, including music, model/actor releases, distribution rights etc.
2. If you have a distribution deal or sales agent, we advise that you consult them and obtain a letter of agreement allowing you to submit to Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest. Please consult all of your partners prior to entering.
3. Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest cannot be held liable for any infringement on copyright and/or ownership clearance issues.
4. The filmmaker/submitter accepts full responsibility for any breach of intellectual or trademark property.
5. By submitting, you give Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest permission to use the film and/or trailers and/or any other marketing materials you supply to us for any promotional purposes for the festival.
6. By submitting, you give Berlin Sci-fi Filmfest permission to screen the film royalty-free during the festival and at the designated venue(s).
7. Once a film is officially accepted into the festival, it can no longer be withdraw from the festival line-up or the festival’s ongoing program.
8. FAN FILMS: Are accepted and welcomed into this event. The filmmaker must have obtained all permissions from the copyright holder and/or the franchise holder and/or the intellectual property owner to create his homage film.
9. By submitting, the filmmakers agrees he has read and understood these terms & conditions of entry.
10. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change, modify or otherwise alter these Terms and Conditions at any time. Unless otherwise indicated, amendments will become effective immediately. Please review these Terms and Conditions periodically. Current stand: 28.12.2019
GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation):
For more information on our data protection policy visit https://www.berlinscifi.com/privacy-policy/ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any specific questions regarding your data.
That we are totally self funded and have no major sponsorship partners, as a result, if your film is accepted, we DO NOT provide accommodation or flights for you to attend the festival. You will receive TWO FESTIVAL PASSES and the opportunity to hold/take part in a Question and Answer and/or a Panel Discussion with the viewing public should you wish to do so. In which case, please contact us with your ideas within a reasonable time frame prior to the event, so we can schedule accordingly.
To help you with your submission have a look at this article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/essential-film-festival-submission-information-anthony-straeger/