Established in 2001, the Beijing Queer Film Festival is the first grassroots film festival in China focusing on independent queer film screenings and cultural exchange activities. Beijing Queer aims to expand public discussions on sexuality and gender by giving a platform to diverse LGBTQ+ voices from China and beyond. Despite a difficult social environment, we have thrived year after year, thanks to the help and solidarity of our community and supporters.
1. All LGBTQIA-themed films are eligible! All lengths are accepted as well as all genres: narrative, documentary, animation, experimental, hybrid, etc.
2. All films must have been produced after January 1, 2021. We will consider exceptions for films that have not yet been screened in China.
3. Only films that haven’t been screened at the Beijing Queer Film Festival will be selected.
4. For Chinese-language films, the submission deadline is August 20, 2022.
5. For non-Chinese-language-films, the submission deadline is August 1, 2022.
1. Filled-out entry form for 2022 Beijing Queer Film Festival
2. High-quality film poster, director headshot, at least 3 film stills
3. Online screener link+password (via FilmFreeway, Vimeo, or other accessible platforms)*
4. There is a $5 (USD) submission fee for each submitted film. We believe in charging the same fee for all films, regardless of duration and genre. These fees support our operating costs, as a volunteer-run festival.**
*If you cannot provide an online screener, please contact us at email@example.com. We will arrange for the submission of a DVD copy via postal mail.
**We will waive submission fees for:
--Filmmakers based in Ukraine
--Filmmakers/films from countries where LGBTQ love is punished by imprisonment or worse
--Filmmakers in financial stress
To request a waiver, please send an explanatory note to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will notify selected filmmakers by mid October 2022.