The Amman International Film Festival – Awal Film (AIFF) was launched in 2020, its distinctive edge was its focus on first-time achievements in cinema. International juries select the Best Arab Feature-Length Narrative, Best Arab Feature-Length Documentary and Best Arab Short. Whereas the audiences choose their favourite international début film.
All winning films receive the Black Iris trophy as well as cash awards.
In addition to screenings, a programme of film industry events including master classes, seminars, pitching sessions and discussions, is organised to stimulate filmmakers in Jordan and the region.
• The Black Iris for Best Arab Feature-Narrative Film + Cash award.
• The Black Iris for Best Arab Feature-Length Documentary Film + Cash award.
• The Black Iris for Best Arab Short Film + Cash award.
• The Audience Award for Best International Film + Cash award.
General Rules & Regulations:
• Submitted films must meet the general criteria below as well as the specific criteria for each section.
• All films must meet the début requirement(s) listed in each section.
• All submitted films must be a Jordanian première; films previously screened in Jordan are not eligible. Films should not be or have been available on any streaming platform in Jordan, commercially or otherwise.
• All films must be released in 2022 or 2023.
• Only rights holders and/or their official distributors are eligible to submit films to the Festival.
• All films must be in their original language and must be subtitled in English, unless the dialogue is in English.
• The Festival reserves the right to decide eligibility.
• The final selection of all films and their placement in the programme are the sole responsibility of the Festival.