For 10 years a film festival grew on Patmos surrounded by friends and colleagues who believed in the vision to create a filmmakers’ meeting point on the Aegean. An international festival and a platform for the development of new projects and ideas.
The international Aegean Film Festival has the mission to educate, entertain, and invite filmmakers and artists to this unique celebration of cinema. We consider a great honour for us and an award for the filmmakers to be selected to travel and present their work to the audiences of the islands. Therefore, we provide perfect screening conditions in open air cinemas, stress free times for networking, inspiring seminars and events for our guests and finally we promote the films beyond Greece through collaborations with festivals across the globe.
Best Aegean Short Film
Jury Award € 3000,00
Best Greek Short Film
Jury Award € 1000,00
Aegean Short Film Special Mention
1. Philip Ilson - Director of London Short Film Festival
2. Sam Cullis - Director of Barnes Film Festival
3. Gregory Kokkinakis - Cosmote TV Cinema & VOD Section Manager
4. Alin Tasciyan - Deputy Secretary, FIPRESCI
5. Grace Attanasio, Nora Graham, Sasha Pinto, Karina Rotenstreich - Ivy Film Festival Board (collective vote)
All selected filmmekares enjoy:
1. 3 nights accommodation
2. Festival Guest Pass providing access to all screenings, seminars, networking events, dinners and parties on both islands
3. Discount on partner festival businesses (incl. restaurants, bars, rentals, hotels, sailling rentals)
4. Films to be screened as part of curated programmes, presented by AegeanFF in Affiliated Festivals (Optional)
The Aegean Film Festival:
1. Aegean Film Festival is a non-profit organization supporting artists and filmmakers from around the world.
2. The 10th edition of the Aegean Film Festival takes place from the 14th until the 19th of July in the island of Paros and from the 21st until the 26th of July in the island of Patmos, Greece.
3. The submissions of the Aegean Film Festival are open to films of different genres, techniques, production types and budgets.
4. The accepted running times of the films differ according to the category submitted: Feature Documentaries and Fiction Films – 50 minutes or longer
Short Films – up to 20 minutes
5. The Aegean Film Festival has no premiere status rule but keeps the right to reject works that are available online.
6. The primary contact submitting the film to the festival must have full authorization to do so, including permission from the film’s distributor, sales agent and representing body.
7. The submission’s personal details are available to Aegean Film Festival and will not be shared with other organizations outside the festival.
8. The Festival accepts full responsibility for protecting the copyrights for the period of time that the films are in the Festival’s possession, and will act to ensure that no theft or breach of copyright will occur.
09. All applicants will be notified about the selection or rejection of their film on the Monday the 1st of June 2020.
10. Aegean Film Festival accepts submission via the Aegean Film Festival website and FilmFreeway. The following platforms will then ask for an external online link such as Vimeo in order for the selection team to review the film.
11. The Festival may, but is not required to, permit certain selected films to be screened in alternative formats. The cost of shipping prints/hard drives to the festival must be met by the applicant. The Festival will pay for one-way shipping of all prints/hard drives, by forwarding them to their next destination, within two weeks of the conclusion of the festival. Any customs or duties charges will be the responsibility of the producer/distributor. The festival does not pay screening fees for films submitted through the submission platforms.
12. The applicant is responsible that the submission file is in full working order.
Foreign Language Films:
13. If the original language of any dialogue or text featured in the film is not English, the preview and screening copy must be subtitled in English, unless this is at variance with the filmmaker’s intention.
14. The films submitted will be reviewed by at least three members of the selection team. The final decision will be confirmed by the Programming Team of the Festival.
15. The festival will not provide comments on the films prior to the submission deadline. However, we are happy to provide applicants with feedback after the completion of the festival. Note that this is a non-binding commitment.
16. An exhibition quality screening version of the film (Quicktime Prores 4:2:2, DCP-24, or other format agreed to with the Festival) should be available once the film is selected.
17. The applicant authorizes Aegean Film Festival to file their film in the festival archive, where it may be made available for further screenings or events promoted by the festival itself, solely for cultural and not for commercial purposes. The festival will always request permission and give reasonable notice before proceeding with any further screening. The festival will never allow any third-party access to the film without the submitter's permission.
18. The Festival, as part of its year-round initiatives, may include films that have been submitted but which may or may not have been selected to screen at the Festival to participate in the Festival’s winter re-screening currently titled “WINTER EDITION”, for the benefit of the local population of the islands and the promotion of independent cinema.
19. Information provided including film details, stills and contact information for all selected films, WILL be published in the Festival Catalogue, which will be made available to the Festival delegates, the Festival Website and other online platforms for the promotion of the Festival and its program as well as it may be reprinted in future editions of the catalogue and/or newsletters.
20. The applicant of a selected film agrees that up to three minutes of their film may be used by the Festival in promotional activities including screening a clip on television and/or on the Festival’s website, and/or on the screens at the Festival venues (trailers included).
21. All films chosen to be part of the Aegean Film Festival must agree to use the “Official Selection” logo of AegeanFF on all publicity.
22. In the event of disagreement concerning the interpretation of the regulations, the interpretation of the festival will take precedence.
23. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in the submission being disqualified.
24. These regulations are subject to change without prior notice.
25. The applicant agrees that they have secured all necessary rights for both picture and sound, and exhibition will not violate or infringe upon any rights including but not limited to music, images, and content.
26. Submissions may NOT be withdrawn from the Festival once they have been entered once they have been selected and after the notification date of the applicants, except at the sole discretion of the Festival.
27. By agreeing to proceed with your submission you are agreeing to these regulations and your application can then be processed. Entry of a film is binding and implies acceptance of these regulations.
Attending the Festival:
28. The Aegean Film Festival encourages all selected filmmakers to attend the festival, and offers guest passes to each film selected. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance on discounts and other information.
29. For all inquires please contact email@example.com