Altan Khalis International Film Festival (AKIFF) is Mongolia's most prestigious film festival which has a short film competition section. It provides a platform for aspiring young filmmakers to challenge themselves and showcase their burgeoning talents to a growing audience of movie-lovers. Ultimately, the film festival aims to establish a creative filmmaking scene in Mongolia. In 2013, Mongolian Film Institute launched the first Underground Film Competition in Mongolia, with the goal of fostering local interest in experimental films and encouraging young artists from ages 18 to 30 to challenge conventional methods of filmmaking. Over the next few years, the competition evolved into Altan Khalis International Film Festival.
The main part of this film festival is the competition section for short films made by Mongolians and international filmmakers. Altan Khalis International Film Festival is the only film festival to host a competition for short films in this scope in Mongolia. We also screen feature films by invitation, hold master classes, host discussions and organize networking events during the film festival. The previous honorary guests and jury members were celebrated filmmakers such as Golden Globe winner Fatih Akin, Ella Manzheeva, Peter Tscherkassky, Eve Heller, Julian Radlmaier and industry professionals such as Kim Young-woo, Maxine Williamson and Bernadette Schramm.
Since 2013, we received 1622 Mongolian and international short film submissions and of those submissions, 184 went onto selected in the competition section of our film festival. For the last 6 editions of our film festival, we gave monetary prizes to 37 young filmmakers.
Altan Khalis International Film Festival will be held in its seventh consecutive year on June 4-8, 2019 in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
Monetary prizes for the best of each category
1) Films that are 30 minutes or less can be submitted.
2) Upon submission of a project, the user certifies that all materials submitted to Altan Khalis International Film Festival are his or her own work and that all other information provided, is true and factual.
3) All the submitted films will become part of Altan Khalis International Film Festival archives and will be made available for screening for publicity and non-profit purposes. We will not acquire the copyright.
4) In case of any unforeseen circumstances, the festival committee reserves the right to change the dates of the festival.
5) Altan Khalis International Film Festival will take considerable care to protect all information received, but in the event of information theft, the organization is void of responsibilities, related profits, expenses, and liabilities arising from the incident.
6) Altan Khalis International Film Festival will take reasonable care to protect all materials received. However, in the event where similar or identical materials, in terms of idea, plot, theme or other elements, have been created by the other filmmakers, the festival and its staff are void of responsibilities and the obligation to compensate. Similar or identical materials are purely coincidental and have been independently created.
7) Altan Khalis International Film Festival reserves the right to organize the presentation of materials in any order.
8) You agree to indemnify and hold Altan Khalis International Film Festival harmless, from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity.
9) If selected we will need digital screening formats such as high-quality H264/x264 files which can be downloaded through cloud services (Wetransfer, MEGA, Dropbox, etc.) Send us an e-mail for details.
10) If not selected Altan Khalis International Film Festival will not explain from on behalf of its selection committee to the submitters.
11) By submitting your film to the Altan Khalis International Film Festival the individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements, rules, and regulations.
12) All entry fees are non-refundable.