Jagran Film Festival (JFF) is an initiative by the Jagran Group towards creating a culture of cinema appreciation. It is an honest and sincere attempt by Jagran to spread this culture, and create a platform that connects great content with audiences across the country.
LAST YEAR, WITH OVER 16 TOWNS, 400+ SCREENINGS, 16 CINEMA APPRECIATION WORKSHOPS, THE FESTIVAL DIRECTLY TOUCHED OVER AN AUDIENCE OF OVER 50,000 PEOPLE, AND THE MEDIA COVERAGE OF JAGRAN PUTS THE REACH OF JFF WELL BEYOND 50 MN PEOPLE ACROSS INDIA.
Enthused by the response to this initiative by both the audiences and the filmmakers, the Festival in 2016, plans to travel an even greater distance. The Jagran Film Festival will start from Delhi, travelling through Kanpur, Lucknow, Allahabad, Varanasi, Agra, Meerut, Dehradun, Hisar, Ludhiana, Patna, Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Raipur, Indore, and Bhopal and finally culminates in Mumbai. This makes it geographically the largest film festival in India. The festival screens films across genres from around the globe. A unique feature of JFF is that the cast and crew of a few select films are invited to a discussion with the audience on various elements of the film. An important aspect of the festival is to generate a discussion on the various aspects of Cinema and its impact on society and popular culture.
One of the key advantages JFF has, is ‘no submission fee’, which is a big advantage and an attraction for young and debut film makers.
Jagran Film Festival brings you a collaborative environment that offers a thrilling array of film screenings, industry panels, filmmaker Q&As, live musical performances, and entertainment mixers that usher the spirit of Bollywood into the most diverse and the biggest Film festival in India in terms of coverage.
Call for entries are open now.
Awards & Prizes
LIST OF AWARD WINNERS
1. Icon of Indian Cinema to Veteran Actress Shabana Azmi
2. Special Contribution to Cinematic Art to Veteran Cinematographer Pravin Bhatt
3. Rajnigandha Achievers Award, Winner Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui
4. Best Foreign Feature Film, Winner ‘Golden Five (Macedonia) directed by Goran Trenchovski
5. Best Feature Film, Winner ‘Jolly LLB’ (Hindi) directed by Subhash Kapoor
6. Best Director Winner Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury for ‘Pink’ (Hindi)
7. Best Foreign Feature Film - Special Jury Award, Winner ‘Back to 97 (Em 97 Era Assim)’ directed by Zeca Britto
8. Best Foreign Feature Film - Special Mention to Actress Zeynep Sevi Yilmaz for ‘Purple Horizons (Turkey)
9. Best Debut Director Winner Shubhashish Bhutiani for ‘Mukti Bhawan’
10. Best Debut Director Winner Avinash Das for ‘Anarkali of Arrah’
11. Best Actor – Male, Winner Irrfan Khan for ‘Hindi Medium’
12. Best Actor – Female Winner Swara Bhaskar for ‘Anarkali of Arrah’
13. Best Actor - Female- Special Jury Award, Winners Taapsi Pannu, Kirti Kulhari & Andrea Tariang
14. Best Short Film, Winner Burning (CELUI QUI BRULE), directed by Slimane Bounia
15. Best Short Film- Special Jury Award, Winner Rahul Chittella for ‘Azaad’
16. Best Short Film - Special Jury Award, Winner Saurabh Tyagi for ‘Mazhabi Laddoo’
17. Best Singer Male Winner Sukhwinder Singh for ‘Jolly LLB 2’
18. Best Singer Female Winner Rekha Bharadwaj for ‘Anarkali of Arrah’
19. Best Music Director Winner Rohit Sharma for ‘Anarkali of Arrah’
20. Best Supporting Actor Male Winner Saurabh Shukla for ‘Jolly LLB 2’
21. Best Supporting Actor Female Winner Seema Pahwa for ‘Bareily Ki Barfi’
22. Best Actor - Male - Special Mention, Winner Adil Hussain for ‘Mukti Bhawan’
23. Best Actor - Male - Special Mention, Winner Dhruva Padmakumar for ‘A Billion Color Story’
24. Best Screenplay Winner Padmakumar Narasimhamurthy for ‘A Billion Color Story’
25. Best Background Score Winner Ram Sampath for ‘Raees’
26. Best Lyrics Winner Tanvir Ghazi for ‘Pink’
27. Best Cinematography Winner K U Mohanan for ‘Raees ‘(Hindi)
28. Best Sound Re Recordist Winner Anish John for ‘Trapped’
29. Best Editing Winner Nitin Baid for ‘Trapped’
30. Best Set Design Winner Aman Vidhate for 'Doctor Rakhmabai (Marathi)
31. Best Makeup Winner Ruhee Bindra for Raees (Hindi)
32. Best Costume Winner Purnima Oak for 'Doctor Rakhmabai (Marathi)
33. Best Visual Effects Winners Red Chillies - Ketan Yadav & Haresh Hingorani for Phillauri (Hindi)
34. Cinema of the Seller - Gold Winner McCann Erickson for Live Love Laugh Foundation - Dobara Poocho
35. Cinema of the Seller - Winner Silver Taproot Dentsu for Adidas – Odds
36. Cinema of the Seller - Bronze Winner BBDO Worldwide for Mirinda - Release the Pressure
Rules & Terms
JAGRAN FILM FESTIVAL 2017 WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING COMPETITIVE SECTIONS:
• Indian Showcase - Competition for Indian Feature Films produced in all Indian
• Stars on the horizon- Competition for Indian Debut Directors
• Cinema of the Sellers – Competition for Indian Advertising/Public Services Films
• Short is Sweet - International Competition for Short Films
• World Panorama - Competitive section for Best International feature films
Films made between 1 September 2016 and 1st June 2017 are eligible for participation in the Delhi chapter of the festival. However, films made between 2 June 2017 and 31 August 2017 will be eligible for the Mumbai chapter and included through a phase two selection processes after conclusion of the Delhi chapter. The Mumbai chapter will not consider any film made before 2 June 2017.
• Delhi Chapter - 31 May 2017
• Mumbai Chapter - 15 August 2017
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. INDIAN SHOWCASE ( INDIAN LANGUAGES) – is a competitive section for feature films produced and certified in India.
• Films entered in the Competition Section must fulfill the following conditions:
o Films must be Feature Films / Short Films/Advertising Films/ International Feature
o They must have been completed between September 1, 2016 and June 1, 2017. And
for Mumbai June 2nd, 2017 to August 31st, 2017 in addition.
o Eligibility period will be determined by the Censorship certificate, for films produced
outside India, a certification by relevant Film Board of the country or attestation by
the relevant Embassy in India would suffice. All films produced in India must have
certification by Central Board of Film Certification. For international films, Jagran
Secretariat will obtain Censorship Exemption from ministry of Information and
Broadcasting, Government of India, New Delhi
o In the case of co-productions, at least one of the producers/production companies
must have the right to sanction the participation of the film in the competition
section of the Festival and the authority to receive an award, if any, is won.
o Entrants must agree that if their film/films win any of the Jagran Film Festival
Awards, all screenings thereafter will acknowledge the Award(s) on the film itself.
• Entries will be subject to preview by a committee constituted by the Directorate of
Jagran Film Festival. A film which is not accepted for the Competition Section can be
shown in the Jagran Film Festival with the consent of the entrant in some other
• The films should be submitted only on DVD or Blue Ray formats in HD. DCPs can
also be submitted for final screenings.
• The Jury for the Indian Competition and Jagran Shorts will consist of a Chairman and
not less than two and not more than four other members.
• The decisions of the jury will be taken by a simple majority of the members present
and voting. The jury can evolve its own rules for assessment of the entries. The
Directorate of Jagran Film Festival or its representatives can attend the deliberations of the jury.
• No person in any way connected with the production or commercial exploitation of
a competitive entry will be a member of the jury. All Members of the jury will refrain
from releasing any articles or reviews to the press concerning the films submitted
for their judgment, until after the jury's decisions have been formally announced at
the closing function.
• Awards for JFF 2017 - Applicable for Indian Films only.
o Cinema of the Sellers-Gold
o Cinema of the Sellers-Silver
o Cinema of the Sellers-Bronze
o Best Screenplay
o Best Cinematography
o Best Sound (Re Recordist)
o Best Editing
o Best Singer Female
o Best Singer Male
o Best Background Score
o Best Music Director
o Best Short Film
o Best Debut Director
o Best Female Actor India
o Best Male Actor India
o Best Director
o Best Feature Film
o Best International Movie
o Special Contribution to the Cinematic Art
o Icons of Indian Cinema
o Best Writer
o Best Critics
o Best Writing on Cinema
• Lifetime Achievement Award (To be given to an individual for his/her outstanding
contribution to world cinema)
Prize Money to the selected categories :
Best Foreign Film $2000*
Best Short Film - $1000*
Best Film – ₹ 2 lac*
Best Director- ₹ 1.5 lac*
Best Debut Director – ₹1 lac*
*Prize money includes the gross amount to be paid by Jagran Film Festival. Taxes as and where will be applicable as per Government of India.
Dollar amount is only for representation and understanding of the prize amount in the said category. Winners can be paid in US Dollar or INR equivalent to the said dollar amount.
Jagran Film Festival reserves the rights for any and change in prize money, or no prize money without any prior notice.
2. NOTICE OF PARTICIPATION
• Entrants would be informed of selection of the film latest by June 20th, 2017 by the
Directorate of Jagran Film Festival.
3. DVDS FOR SELECTION
• DVDs of films may also be sent for purposes of selection only so as to reach the
Directorate of Jagran Film Festival not later than May 30th, 2017. Single
consignments which are not part of a larger shipment should be air- mailed directly
to the Directorate of Jagran Film Festival. DVDs may also be sent through Diplomatic
4. ENTERING FILMS IN THE FESTIVAL
• Film Producers, Distributors their duly authorized representatives or duly
authorized government organizations / agencies of the participating countries may
enter their films for the International Competition for feature films, Thematic,
Indian Classic, Indian – Competitive, Animated, Films by Debut Directors, Short Films
and Cinema of the Sellers in the Entry Form.
• The Directorate of Jagran Film Festival may also invite films if it considers them of
5. DVD/ BLUE RAY
• Screeners on DVD/ Blue ray DVD/ (or one line links) of the films selected for
exhibition in the Festival must reach the Festival office in New Delhi on or before
May 31, 2017 for all cities except for Mumbai Screening for which the last date is
August 31, 2017. The title(s) of the film(s) sent, shipping details including the dates
of dispatch and the air consignment number must be faxed/e-mailed to the
Directorate of Jagran Film Festival. DVD/ Blue ray should ideally be air
freighted/couriered directly to the Directorate of Jagran Film Festival at the address
given in these regulations.
6. FREIGHT AND OTHER CHARGES
• The Blue Ray / DVDs should be sent “freight pre-paid” i.e. at senders cost.
• The Directorate of Jagran Film Festival will not bear freight or any other charges for
unsolicited films, Videos, DVDs sent to it, if these are not selected for screening in
• In the case of publicity material, etc. sent pre-paid by Courier Services or through
agents in India, the concerned Courier Service/agent should be instructed to deliver
the material directly to the office of the Directorate of Jagran Film Festival in Delhi.
The Directorate of Jagran Film Festival shall not be responsible for any material that
is diverted to some other city.
• Films will normally be screened in their original language/version. Films in all
languages must have subtitles in English. Films that arrive without subtitles, or with
subtitles other than in English, where such subtitles are enquired, may not be
considered for preview and also will also not be screened in the Festival.
• All films screenings at Jagran Film Festival would either be certified by Central Board
of Film Certification, India or have obtained exemption under Section 9 of
Cinematograph Act, 1952. In case of International Films Jagran Film Festival will get
the approvals for exemption of certification from the Ministry of Broadcasting.
• The accepted films may be shown in some of the 16 cities (specified in Point1), by
the Directorate of Jagran Film Festival.
• The Festival proposes to have a maximum of five screenings per film as per FIAPF
Regulations for non-competitive festivals and competitive specialized festivals which
allow for a maximum of five screenings per film.
9. The Directorate of Jagran Film Festival reserves the right to exclude films which are
not in conformity with aims of the Festival, or which could offend the national
feelings, sensibilities of communities and susceptibilities of any participating
country, or are likely to promote racial discrimination.
• Classroom and Demo films are not eligible for participation in any section.
• Films not presenting sufficient technical qualities for good public screening can be
refused after checking of the DVDs by the Print Checking Unit of the Directorate of
Jagran Film Festival.
• The participants must ensure that they have the right to participate in Jagran Film
Festival of India with regard to parties connected with the production / distribution
of the participating film and / or other right holders/licenses.
• Participation in the Festival implies acceptance of these Regulations.
• The Directorate of Jagran Film Festival will decide all matters not expressly provided
for in these regulations but in conformity with the provisions of the International
Regulations for film festivals and decision of The Directorate of Jagran Film Festival
shall be final and binding on all parties.
Please read the complete form thoroughly before making Submissions, Directorate of Jagran Film Festival will not be liable for any loss of Content, Participation, and Material whatsoever. All films will be shortlisted for screening/ competition by the preview panel and further Judged by the Jury panel in Mumbai.
12. CORRESPONDENCE AND SHIPPING ADDRESS
• All correspondence, publicity materials, DVDs and film prints should be addressed to:
Note: Once the film is submitted, we envisage you have read the T&C and will abide by all the rules and regulations of the 8th Jagran Film Festival.
Directorate of Jagran Film Festival
Jagran Prakashan Limited
50, Okhla Industrial Estate, Phase III
New Delhi – 20
Tel: +91 11 3082 0300
Fax: +91 11 3082 0300