Stage 32 is proud to present the 2nd Annual Romantic Comedy Screenwriting Contest!
You’ll meet industry professionals from companies including Artists First, Lean Machine, Alliance Cinema and more! Open to features and pilots!
Romantic Comedies are officially back! Rom Coms are quickly becoming the hottest genre on streaming, and bouncing back in the theaters. Netflix and Hulu have been capitalizing on the rom com fever with hit projects like TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVE BEFORE, YOUR PLACE OR MINE and WEDDING SEASON. TICKET TO PARADISE hit theaters earlier this year to resounding success. Television has quickly followed suit with shows like EMILY IN PARIS and SEX EDUCATION blowing up on social media. Stage 32 won't let your Romantic Comedy be left out!
Last year, we set up our winners with 5 one-on-one meetings with industry pros currently working on rom com content - and they signed with Sovereign Talent Group (client credits include THE DARK KNIGHT and THE SIMPSONS) as a result! They are currently working with a producer from that group to develop a script as well. Our 10 finalists get amazing exposure too; last year’s finalists had their work requested by top production and management companies including 3Arts, Buzzfeed Motion Pictures and The Cartel!
If you have a romantic comedy that needs to be made, now is the time to show us what you've got, because our goal is to amplify your voice, give you the access Stage 32 is known for, and take your writing career to the next level!
Our Grand Prize winner will:
- Have your winning script and full portfolio reviewed by our Industry Mentor, Matt Ember, writer of FAILURE TO LAUNCH, followed by a meeting to discuss your career!
- Be flown to LA for meetings (travel permitting) to meet with 9 top professionals currently working in the industry, at companies like Artists First, Neon Kite Management and more with credits including MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND, 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU and more!
- Work with Stage 32 to develop your winning script’s pitch deck for the market
- Have your professional biography sent to an exclusive roster of over 30 agents and managers who have a First Look deal with Stage 32 and are actively looking for new clients and material
- Receive a free membership to the Stage 32 Writers’ Room, a private, virtual community of writers from around the world the meet and learn from industry professionals like Meg LeFauve (INSIDE OUT, CAPTAIN MARVEL) and Aimee Riviera, VP of Motion Picture Production at Skydance Media (TOP GUN: MAVERICK), Tripper Clancy (STUBER) and managers & agents from WME, CAA, Gersh, Circle of Confusion, Zero Gravity & more!
- Free access to Stage 32’s educational webinar library, which includes over 2,000 hours of content featuring top industry professionals
- Continued support from the Stage 32 team to help move your career forward and get you in front of decision makers!
ALL 10 Finalists will:
- Have your loglines presented to over 500 industry executives including literary managers, agents and producers in a Stage 32 lookbook. Past lookbook writers have been set up on meetings with and even signed with companies like 3 Arts Entertainment, UTA, APA, Art/Work Entertainment, Zero Gravity and more!
- Get a free three month membership to the Stage 32 Writers’ Room, a private, virtual community of writers from around the world the meet and learn from industry professionals like Meg LeFauve (INSIDE OUT, CAPTAIN MARVEL) and Aimee Riviera, VP of Motion Picture Production at Skydance Media (TOP GUN: MAVERICK), Tripper Clancy (STUBER) and managers & agents from WME, CAA, Gersh, Circle of Confusion, Zero Gravity & more!
Stage 32 will be a champion for your script - once you’re part of our community, we make sure you rise to the top!
Our Rom Com Screenwriting Winners See Results
Stage 32 has launched the careers of hundreds of writers over the last 11 years. Stage 32 has quickly emerged as the leading source for industry executives to uncover new talent! Is this your year to move the needle on your career?
- Last year’s winners, Callie & Richard Zelniker, signed with Lanette Mastandrea at Sovereign Talent Group, whose client credits include FRIENDS and SHE HULK: ATTORNEY AT LAW. They are also currently working with a producer they met through Stage 32 to develop their script!
- Last year’s finalists have had their work requested by managers and producers at The Cartel, 3Arts, ShowKat Productions and more!
The Grand Prize Winner Will be Flown to Los Angeles to meet with:
- Matt Ember, Screenwriter (FAILURE TO LAUNCH)
- Seth Jaret, Manager & Producer, Virtual Matter (Client credits include 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU, LEGALLY BLONDE)
- Kevin Parker, Literary Manager, Artists First (Client credits include SHALL WE DANCE, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES)
- Swati Shetty, Founder & Director, Samosa Stories (Netflix Original WEDDING SEASON)
- Hughes Ransom, Office of the President, Lean Machine (CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND, YOUR PLACE OR MINE)
- Jim Milio, Executive Producer, Alliance Cinema (MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, MEN SEEKING WOMEN)
- Jeanette B. Milio, Executive Producer, Alliance Cinema (MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING)
- Jay Glazer, Manager, Neon Kite (Client credits include SEX EDUCATION, ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME)
- Maria Odufuye, Script Editor (SEX EDUCATION, THE END OF THE F***ING WORLD)
- Nick Oleksiw, Producer, Mischief Entertainment (WELCOME TO MERCY)
In addition to these meetings, the winner will also receive access to Stage 32’s Educational resources, be promoted on Stage 32’s social media, and have their professional biography sent to an exclusive roster of over 30 agents and managers hand picked by Stage 32 who are actively looking for new clients and material. Stage 32 will facilitate introductory meetings to any of the representatives who respond to your material and bio. This is the type of exposure that will change your career forever!
If you reach the Finals, you still get massive exposure to decision makers!
ALL FINALISTS will receive a FREE THREE MONTHS OF THE MEMBER'S ONLY STAGE 32 WRITERS' ROOM, an exclusive community of writers who gather online for inspiring and educational webcasts from top industry pros, and will be in a Stage 32 Lookbook which includes their script title, logline & bio mailed to over 400 industry executives including, managers, agents, producers, development executives, and financiers! Stage 32 Lookbooks are some of the most sought after talent resources for the industry and have helped secure meetings with places like Verve, Good Fear, 3 Arts, APA, Echo Lake, Amazon, UTA, CAA, WME, First Friday, Pathfinder, The Cartel, Art/Work and many, many more.
Important Dates to Be Aware Of
Super Early Bird Deadline: February 16th, 2023
Early Bird Deadline: March 8th, 2023
Regular Deadline: March 29th, 2023
Final Deadline: April 26th, 2023
Quarterfinalist Announcement: June 30th, 2023
Semifinalist Announcement: July 14th, 2023
Finalist Announcement: July 28th, 2023
Winner Announcement: August 11th, 2023
ENTRANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Void where prohibited by law.
This Stage 32 Contest is an international contest. Must be 18 years or older to submit.
Entrant agrees to Stage32.com terms and conditions.
This Stage 32 Contest is not a game of chance. All material is read and reviewed by industry professionals.
All quarterfinalists, semi-finalists, finalists and winners are subjectively determined by our judges.
There is no limit to the number of screenplays an Entrant can enter. The same screenplay cannot be submitted multiple times under different names. If so, you will be disqualified.
Entrant must not be an immediate family member or friend of any of the judges or their respective companies.
Entrant acknowledges that because of the judges' and mentors' position in the entertainment industry they receive numerous submissions of ideas, formats, stories, suggestions and the like and that many such submissions heretofore or hereafter received by them are similar to or identical to those developed by them or their employees or, if an agent, are otherwise available to them.
Entrant acknowledges that they will not be entitled to any compensation because of the use by judges or mentors of any such similar material.
Entrant acknowledges that no fiduciary or confidential relationship now exists between Entrant and judges or mentors, and Entrant further acknowledges that no such relationships are established between Entrant and judges or mentors by reason of this contest entry.
Entrants must submit screenplays and payment online.
Entrants must upload their submission within 72 hours of entry purchase.
Entry fees will not be returned or adjusted.
No waivers are available for this contest.
SCREENPLAY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Screenplays should be written in English and in standard industry format.
The rights to the Entrant’s screenplay should not have been previously optioned or sold.
The Entrant retains the rights to his or her screenplay at all times.
Entrant’s screenplay must not have been produced.
The screenplay can be submitted with or without a title page and/or contact information.
After a screenplay is entered, no new drafts or corrected pages can be made by the Entrant unless it is confirmed in our records that the Entrant has paid for the "Resubmission" option.
Screenplay must be submitted as a PDF document.
Screenplay must be the original work of the Entrant and may not be based whole or in part on any fictional or non-fictional material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced for which the Entrant does not have rights. Neither Stage 32 nor its judges investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you are acknowledging that you have secured all necessary rights.