Film Streams’ Local Filmmakers Showcase is an annual program of films by residents of Nebraska and Iowa. An independent jury will select films for the program, which will be approximately 90 to 150 minutes in length in its entirety. The program’s format will be determined by the quality and diversity of films under consideration. Our goal is to create an entertaining, artistically interesting program for audiences while celebrating the work of area filmmakers.
Since 2016, our juries have reserved space in the program for a deserving entry by area primary or secondary-school students. Elementary, middle, and high school students and classes are encouraged to submit projects for the Student Spotlight.
The 2021 Local Filmmakers Showcase will take place in November. Filmmakers whose work is selected for the showcase (as well as their collaborators, families, and friends) will be invited to an opening night celebration and screening. For each film selected, filmmakers will receive a percentage of the box office for the premiere and encore screenings of the showcase, plus an honorarium.
1. For a project to be eligible, at least one of its filmmakers must be a resident of Nebraska or Iowa. Students attending college in the showcase region are welcome to submit.
2. Films must be completed at the time of submission and received by Film Streams no later than July 31, 2021.
3. A maximum of three submissions are allowed per filmmaker.
4. It is the applicant’s responsibility to gain permissions for any borrowed intellectual property, like music, prior to submission.
5. Movies that have screened publicly for a paying audience (outside of festivals) will not be considered for this program..
6. We encourage filmmakers to submit films under 30 minutes.