The Underground Cinema Films Awards are now going in to their 15th year. From January 2024 through to September 2024 Underground Cinema will once again begin screening on a monthly basis a selection of some of the best independent short/feature films and music videos from filmmakers from around the globe.
For 11 years our screenings have been live events. With the Covid outbreak in 2020 our monthly screenings switched from live events to online events. The switch over has been enormously successful with incredible viewing figures online.
The screenings will continue online throughout 2024. Online programs will be created over a 10 month period. Each program will be launched online for a two day period, a Saturday and a Sunday. The programs will be made available to the public free of charge over that period.
At the end of our season in October we will be announcing the nominees for the 15th Underground Cinema Film Awards.
The awards ceremony will be a live event which will be held in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin in Ireland on November 16th. The film awards are the only awards ceremony in Ireland that recognise every aspect of the art of independent film making for both shorts and features.
How it all works:
Once you have submitted your film to us it will be viewed by a member of our judging panel. If your film has been selected by our screening judge, he/she will then be in touch to advise you that your film has been selected and you will be given an online screening date. Links will be sent to you for you to access the film online
Our panel of judges will be viewing the films selected throughout the year and they will advise by October the nominees for the 2024 Awards Ceremony.
With regard to the awards themselves, the awards will be presented at our annual award giving ceremony in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire in November 2024 which is a ticketed event. Tickets for the event go on sale as soon as the full list of nominees are announced. Tickets include a four course dinner, the awards ceremony and aftershow party. Nominees interested in attending must purchase their own tickets. if a nominee cannot attend and happens to win an award then we will ensure that the award gets to the winner shortly after the awards ceremony.
Once nominees are announced we host a serious of online interviews with film makers, actors and crew in order to bring awareness to the nominated films and to help promote them. This is an opportunity for film makers to chat about their work and answer questions that the public may have. We call it Underground TV. Its very relaxed and informal and it goes out live on the Underground Cinema Website, on our Facebook Page and on our YouTube Channel. Its proven to be a huge hit since we introduced the interviews back in 2019. Live on Facebook works particularly well as the public can fee questions to the filmmakers in real time via comments on the Facebook Page.
Best Short Film
Best Feature Film
Best International Film
Best Student Film
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Production Design
Best Make Up
Best Visual Effects
Best Music Video
Best International Music Video
Best Horror Film
Best Animated Film
Rising Star Award
1. We are looking for story based films, which can be in the form of narrative (fiction), documentary (non fiction), or animation.
2. All foreign language films must include English subtitles
3. Films that have been previously screened at an Underground Cinema season cannot be re entered.
4. Short films must be under 45 mins long. If a film is over 45 minutes the feature length category should be selected
5. By submitting your film you are agreeing for Underground Cinema to use clips from your film for promotional purposes
6. You must submit a promotional poster or still with your application
7. You must give the name of the director, writer and producer when submitting your film.
8. We do not accept films that are more then three years old.
9. We do not accept films with poor production standard (sound/video resolution less than 720p HD)