‘Cause Calcutta And Other Stories
The film comprises five stories.
Ei Poth Jodi (If This Road): Genre – Comic Romance : A young woman and a young man board the same bus and engage in a romantic affair in their heads.
A aar B (A and B): Genre – Psychological Drama : A man separated from his lover tries to find stories to write in the people and streets of Kolkata.
Karon Kolkata (‘Cause Calcutta): Genre – Silent Comedy : A Bangali family mimes their through the event of Kali Pujo.
Daini (Witch): Genre – Social Satire : A woman is branded a witch and beaten up and the society reacts to it variously.
Moyur Mukto (Peacock Pearl): Genre – Fantasy : A young girl creates a graphic novel and lives through it to reach the end of her protagonist’s adventure quest.
The five stories do not meet at a point or intercross. As a whole the film presents the city as the living context to the characters and events. As the stories have been born of, for and from Kolkata, hence its name Karon Kolkata Ebong Onyo Golpo... (Because Calcutta and Other Stories).
In a world overwhelmed with hate and violence, this film tries to share some happiness. With all the constant real tragedy on this planet, this film yearns to spread a feeling of wellness. It begins with the hope of love, alternates with the love for pain, shows the good-and-bad of everyday in a comic vein, juxtaposes real kindness with fake and finally ends with great hope again. Through the great medium of cinema, Karon Kolkata Ebong Onyo Golpo wishes to gift a beautiful dream. It dreams of world peace with infantile innocence. This film hopes to touch the inner child of the viewer and seed the belief in beauty and love and hope of course again!
Shirin Guha, Sushant Sharma, Gyanendra Tripathi, Sagnik Chakraborty, Amit Kumar Adhikari, Arnab Sarkar, Supriti Bhadra, Sreejeeta SahaKey Cast
Project Title (Original Language):Karon Kolkata Ebong Onyo Golpo
Genres:Romance, Drama, Comedy, Satire, Fantasy
Runtime:1 hour 53 minutes 39 seconds
Completion Date:November 1, 2016
Production Budget:50,000 USD
Country of Origin:India
Country of Filming:India
Language:Bengali, English, Hindi
Film Color:Black & White and Color
• B.A. in English Literature with Honours from Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
• PG Diploma in Film Direction at Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
• Wrote, shot and directed Bengali fiction feature film KARON KOLKATA EBONG ONYO GOLPO premiering in 2016.
• Currently shooting for KathaChitra, a feature length poem documentary film.
• Completed professional projects as freelance scriptwriter, cinematographer and director (fiction and non-fiction including educational, instructional, promotional videos) on film and digital media. Several works of original short fiction participated and won at national-international film festivals.
• Worked as assistant director-assistant art director for Pradeep Sarkar at Apocalypso Filmwork, Mumbai.
• Founded theatre group STAGE-ADDICT in Kolkata for original English plays. Wrote-directed-acted in full length original English plays Not Oedipus and Swap apart from several others. Conducted theatre workshops in several cities and institutions.
• Won the Shyamanand Jalan National Youth Theatre Award 2013 for full length original play titled Chhayankaner Jonyo (Shadowplay).
• Book of poems titled 27 Stitches published in 2013 by Writers Workshop.
• Book of stories titled The Colours of Shadow published in 2015 by LiFi Publications.
• Next book of poems titled Songs of Sanity being published by Writers Workshop.
• Reported freelance for The Times of India, The Telegraph, The Statesman and FnL.
• Interned at advertising agency McCann Erickson in copywriting.
• Exhibited photo-verse art titled ROOM at Grubshup café/restaurant, Pune. Display of triptych paintings as part of Khoj exhibition at OmKrishna Gallery, Pune.
• Trained in Bharatnatyam and Indian Classical vocals.
• Fluent in English, Bengali and Hindi. Learning Italian.
Karon Kolkata Ebong Onyo Golpo is a film that was within my body-mind-soul since my first conscious moment. Perhaps I knew not that it was to become a film, but as I grew up and saw the changing beauty of my beloved mother-city I knew this place, its people, its utterly quaint glory had to be captured and shared with all. It is an ancient city, Kolkata. It is agelessly antique. A complete system in itself. Preserves, Destroys, Creates within itself. This is an attempt to capture its movement in time. As it changes its visage speedily, this is to achieve moments and places of a most unique people.
I have tried to cover various emotions through different genres and styles in this film. Five short tales make up the whole. Since Kolkata is such a vivid mixture of characteristics, communities, colours and flavours, I have spread out these unique traits across the five stories and their varying genres to capture the craziness that is Calcutta. The stories don’t culminate together. Rather, each tale tries to share certain location-event-thought specific feeling that the city communicates.
Kolkata or Calcutta (as the British had dubbed it) is a city stuck in time. Industrial development has stagnated. Economy has waned in the last decades. Yet it is a splendid city, even though mired in over-population and permanent recession. Despite its many failings Kolkata shines with glorious madness. It is a rare brave place where Male and Female are considered equals and women are worshipped as Goddesses! I want to show to the world that Kolkata is as beautiful as the greatest cities ever.
This is my first film. I had a tiny crew and an even tinier budget. I wanted to make movies because it seemed all kinds of art can smoothly come together in this medium. Be it theatre or dance or song or painting or graphic literature, all can be absorbed into the form of cinema. This film could be made with a handful of people and a fistful of money because we made it differently. Mixing media, delving into various arts, getting inspired by new technology and attempting to create things with eager minds and hands. We tried to turn our weaknesses into strengths. After all, what is moviemaking, if not a mad irrepressible determined urge to make beauty?! We made this film with absolute love. It was the greatest learning experience of our lives till now.